Disquiet Junto Cheap Generative



This week's Disquiet Junto is based on a four-loop composition, specifically one 2 seconds in length, one 3 seconds, one 5 seconds, and one 7 seconds long with a 3-second pause to one of the elements and a 1-second pause to another of these elements.

The material comes from a recent collaboration and it was challenging settling on the final loop. The bass and bell-like pipe were given but I spent a while trying out other loops. I also cheated a bit I think, the loops length mightn't all be strictly following the rules.

It was an interesting approach to composition and one I'd like to try again. I like writing haiku for the framework and this offers a similar set of rules but I'd probably shorten it.

Kinda reminded me of John Cage:
In Zen they say, 'If something is boring after two minutes, try it after four. If still boring, try it for eight, 16, 32 and so on. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all, but very interesting.